A Loan of Up To $20,000 for 4th Year Medical Students
and 1st Year Residents*
The Sallie Mae Medical Residency and Relocation Loan®
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ
This loan is a loan of up to $20,000 that is available to 4th year medical students and 1st year residents.*
This loan can be used to cover costs associated with taking board examinations, traveling or interview, and moving for your residency.
If you are about to graduate and think you may need additional funds during the summer between graduation and your first residency paycheck, this loan provides a great solution. You can take control of your money; the loan is sent directly to you. There is no origination fee or penalty for paying off your loan before its due date. You can also lower your total student loan cost; get a 0.25 percentage point interest rate reduction when you enroll in and make monthly payments by auto debit.2
As a first year resident, you may realize the expense of relocation and setting up in a new city has depleted your resources. With this loan, you can defer your principal and interest payments while you’re enrolled at least half-time and during your grace period (three years after you graduate or nine months if you leave school or drop to less than half-time status).1 You can also request lower, interest-only payments for the first two or our years. After that, you’ll make principal and interest payments for the rest of the loan repayment term.
- No Payments required for 36 months after graduation1
- Competitive Interest Rates
- You're in control of your funds — all disbursements are made directly to you
- No Application Fee - No Origination Fee - No Disbursement Fee
- Prepay your loan at any time without penalty
- Easy online application—about 15 minutes is all you need
Rates & Terms
- Rates are variable, and start from 4.55% APR to 10.88% APR.
- Students can borrow from $1,000 up to $20,000
- No origination fee
- No repayment fee
- No payments required while you’re in school 1
- No prepayment penalty
- Repayment begins three years after graduation or nine months after leaving school or dropping to less than half-time status 1
- Request to make monthly interest payments for the first two or four years, followed by principal and interest payments for the remainder of the term or make monthly principal and interest payments for the full repayment term.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident or a Non-U.S. citizen borrower with a creditworthy cosigner (who must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident) and required U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) documentation. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are attending or have attended participating schools located outside the U.S. are also eligible.
- You must be enrolled at least half time in your final year of study at a participating allopathic, osteopathic, veterinary medicine, or podiatric school located in the U.S., or have graduated from one within the past 12 months.
- You must have been awarded or expect to be awarded the M.D., D.O., D.M.D., D.V.M., V.M.D., or D.P.M. degree during the same academic program year that you are applying.
- Applications are subject to a requested minimum loan amount of $1,000. Current credit and other eligibility criteria apply.
We encourage students and families to start with savings, grants, scholarships, and federal student loans to pay for college. Students and families should evaluate all anticipated monthly loan payments, and how much the student expects to earn in the future, before considering a private student loan.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
To participate in the Sallie Mae Residency and Relocation Loan program, veterinary medical schools are required to be accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association, medical schools are required to be accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or the American Osteopathic Association’s Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation, and podiatric schools are required to be accredited by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education.
*You must be enrolled at least half time in your final year of study at a participating allopathic, osteopathic, podiatric, or veterinary medicine school located in the U.S., or have graduated from one within the past 12 months. You must have been awarded or expect to be awarded the M.D., D.O., D.M.D., D.V.M. D.P.M., or V.M.D. degree during the same academic program year that you are applying. You must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident or a Non-U.S. citizen borrower with a creditworthy cosigner (who must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident) and required U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) documentation. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are attending or have attended participating schools located outside the U.S. are also eligible. Applications are subject to a requested minimum loan amount of $1,000. Current credit and other eligibility criteria apply.
1. Interest is charged starting at disbursement, while in school and during the applicable grace period of either 36 months after graduation or nine months after withdrawal from school or attendance falling below half-time status. When you start paying principal and interest, any Unpaid Interest will be added to Current Principal, increasing your Total Loan Cost. Variable rates may increase over the life of the loan. Advertised APRs assume a $20,000 loan to a student enrolled in his/her final year of study at a participating school or who has graduated from one within the past 12 months with no other Sallie Mae loans.
2. Borrower or cosigner must enroll in auto debit through Sallie Mae. The rate reduction benefit applies only during active repayment for as long as the Current Amount Due or Designated Amount is successfully withdrawn from the authorized bank account each month, and may therefore be suspended during a forbearance or deferment period.
Sallie Mae Residency and Relocation Loans are intended to cover expenses not included in your school’s cost of attendance.
Residency and Relocation Loans are made by Sallie Mae Bank or a lender partner.
Information advertised valid as of 12/26/2017.
SALLIE MAE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY OR DISCONTINUE PRODUCTS AND BENEFITS AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.
© 2018 Sallie Mae Bank. All rights reserved.
Sallie Mae, the Sallie Mae logo, and other Sallie Mae names and logos are service marks or registered service marks of Sallie Mae Bank or its subsidiaries. All other names and logos used are the trademarks or service marks of their respective owners. SLM Corporation and its subsidiaries, including Sallie Mae Bank, are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.